Back in the day, I had an Ogre Kingdoms army for WFB. It was fun, and they had a very specific aesthetic they were going for, which worked, but didn't have the mercenary feel that Ogres are supposedly known for. They were big, they were fat, but they weren't tough. Not Shrek, but more of a Fat Bastard.
When Mantic came out with their first Ogres way back in First Edition (funded from their very first kickstarter) they went instead with a hard, lean, mercenary look (even if they did skip leg day at the gym).
Now, with the new Vanguard warband release for Ogres, they have got some fantastic updates that just make them even better.
- 3 Red Goblin - grunt
- 3 Brawler (formerly warrior) - Warrior
- 3 Cheaver (2 handed weapon) - Warrior
- 1 Hunter - Warrior (I was a bit disappointed that it only included one of these - especially as a warrior. Even though the hunter model is metal, I can see people wanting more than one in a warband (if they use the cards) - however see below
- 2 Shooter - Warrior
- 2 Boomer - Warrior
- 1 Ogre Sergeant - Command
- 1 Ogre Warlock - Spellcaster
- 1 Red Goblin Biggit - Support
- 1 Paymaster - support
- 3 Crocodog - Grung
- 2 Beserker Brave - Warrior
- 1 Boomer Sergeant - Support
- 1 Berserker Bully - Command
- 1 Hunter - Warrior (hey - another hunter card. I guess I was judging a little too early).
In addition to the large starter and booster, there are also two Ogre blister packs available for Vanguard.
The first, and by far the coolest, is the Matriarch.